Saturday 24 August 2013

Cappuccino pots

I've recently been trying out recipes using gelatine with varying results. I've tried marshmallow, which worked alright but was a bit too wet and sticky. It seems quite hard to find a really good marshmallow recipe, which is a shame. So after the disappointing results I had with marshmallow I turned my attention to cheesecake, which actually turned out fine, just needs a little bit of tweaking with the flavours then I will blog about it.

I then got looking through a recipe book I have for the slimming group I belong to and found a dessert recipe which makes a coffee mousse. This is my own twist on that recipe.


Ingredients:

2 tsp powdered gelatine
5 level tbsp low fat crème fraiche
5 tbsp fat free natural yogurt (I used 0% Greek yogurt)
2 tbsp v strong filter coffee or espresso
3 tbsp sweetener (I used 1 tsp liquid sweetener)
2 large egg whites
10ml Tia Maria (optional)
2 tsp cocoa powder

Method:

Pour 2 tbsp of boiling water into a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine in. Mix well until the gelatine is dissolved and put to one side until needed.
In a separate bowl mix together the crème fraiche, yogurt, cocoa powder, coffee, Tia Maria (if using) and sweetener. 
Whisk the egg whites until stiff, I used my Russell Hobbs Kitchen machine for this but you could do it by hand if you don't have an electric whisk.
Mix the gelatine into the coffee mixture and carefully fold the egg white into it, being careful not to knock the air out of it.
All that's left is to divide the mix into your chosen serving pots or glasses and leave to set for around 2 hours. 
I served mine in some vintage tea cups that I bought recently, though this dessert is so versatile that it could be served in most things, I think Martini glasses or espresso cups would look really good with this.
This is a fantastic dessert to have in your repertoire for something a bit fancy for a weekend pudding or tarted up a bit with some chocolate or Baileys served along side at a dinner party.  

No comments:

Post a Comment