Tuesday 21 May 2013

Scan bran breakfast bake

Still trying to shift the last 2 stubborn pounds to achieve my new target weight I decided to try some more scan bran.
Something which I noticed whilst looking around for recipes using scan bran is that savoury recipes are about as hard to find as hens teeth! Type 'Scan bran recipes' into Google and you will get a whole host of cake and biscuit recipes, but no savoury. This strikes me as a bit odd considering scan bran is basically just compressed fibre, it has little to no taste of it's own so really can be put into anything which will give it flavour.
So, I decided to get experimental in the kitchen and see if I could fill the gap. Surely not all of us slimmers want to eat cake ALL of the time?? I love cake as much as everyone, but when I snack I feel more fulfilled if I've eaten something savoury. Cake is a treat, not a snack, and to be perfectly honest I prefer PROPER cake as my treat.

I didn't know what to name my new creation, but thought Breakfast bake did it enough justice, given the ingredients. Though it can be eaten any time of the day or night, it can be breakfast, it's perfect for a packed lunch or an afternoon snack before dinner.

Ingredients:

5 Scan Bran
3 eggs
1 shallot
1 beetroot grated
4 medium sized mushrooms
2 slices ham/extra lean bacon
Pinch basil
Pinch Oregano
Black pepper for seasoning

Method:

Soften the Scan bran in a bowl with just enough hot water to get it soft (about enough to cover it) and give it a good mash. Once done, set to one side.
Dice the onion and fry in some low cal cooking spray until soft, add the mushrooms and if using bacon chop that and add to the pan at this stage.
When the onion, mushroom and bacon (if using) are cooked add to the scan bran mix in the bowl.
Add the beetroot and one egg and mix well to combine all of the ingredients.
Put the mix into a shallow roasting dish and crack the two remaining eggs onto the top.
Sprinkle the herbs and black pepper on top and bake in the oven at 190C for 25 minutes.

I enjoyed a large slice with a baby cucumber and cherry tomatoes. For a touch of sinfulness add a small dollop of flavoured mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment