Saturday 2 March 2013

That's a wrap...

These are something I discovered making for myself a few week ago after promising Littlest Baker she could have wraps for her lunch and promptly discovering we didn't have any. That's where Google always comes in very handy!

After a minute looking online I had a recipe for wraps, which is almost too easy.

Ingredients:
225g fine corn flour or maize flour (for a traditional tortilla wrap) or strong wheat flour (what I used) or a mix of both.
1 medium egg
A little warm water.

Mix all of the ingredients together until they form a dough. Knead until smooth and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
Cut into 8 pieces, and roll out very thinly to 8 pancakes.
Griddle or dry-fry in a hot pan for 1 minute each side until speckled brown.

 



These went down really well and are perfect for lunch boxes. I cooked half of the wraps and froze the remainder of the dough for a few days until making some more. The wraps keep well in the fridge so long as they are well covered and not allowed to dry out (much the same as shop bought).

I've not worked out the cost, but I would think it's fairly safe to say that cost wise they are the same as if not cheaper (and healthier) than shop bought tortillas and great for getting the kids involved with you in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment