Saturday 3 August 2013

Becoming a Chobani convert!

As you probably know I have been following a diet plan since January 2012, quite successfully I might add as I have now lost just under 5 1/2 stone! My breakfasts have evolved over the course of the plan to now being pretty much a standard of a banana, or two if it's just one of those days, with a fat free yogurt, usually a Activia flavoured one. Which is fine, but it does get a bit boring after a while if I'm honest. So when I was given the opportunity to try out a new yoghurt which is just hitting the shelves in the UK I was quite pleased.

Chobani have been around in America since 2007 when it first went on sale in New York. But it has taken until now for it to move across the pond to the UK. Chobani is different from other fat free yoghurt's on the shelves as it is strained, which makes it deliciously thick and creamy and much higher in protein than regular yoghurt.
Something which I have know for a while now is that yoghurt is a fantastic replacement in recipes for things much higher in fat such as mayonnaise, creme fraiche and fromage frais, sour cream, butter milk etc... Which is where something such as the plain fat free Chobani would work well. I've not tried this yet, but I have plans for a chicken tikka masala in the coming week or two that will use it so I will post about it then.

This post is actually about the flavoured Chobani yoghurts. I was sent one of each of the flavours to try out and decided to change my usual breakfast yoghurt each day for one of these.

Day 1 - Pomegranate 


I have never been the biggest fan of Pomegranate as the fruit, I do like the juice though so I did my best to go into this flavour with an open mind. Though I was pleased with the over all flavour and texture of the thick yoghurt, I'm afraid this flavour did not change my mind about Pomegranate as I didn't like the seeds, if they were to make this without the seeds then I would buy it.

Day 2 - Apple Cinnamon


This flavour I was really looking forward to as Apple Cinnamon is one of my favourite flavour combinations (particularly in a pie). You don't tend to see Apple Cinnamon flavoured yoghurt in the UK either, so I was doubly pleased to try it. I really enjoyed the yoghurt, though perhaps would have like a bit more of the Cinnamon flavour to come through. Also, I think if I were to buy this flavour I would turn it into a really quick pudding with some granola sprinkled on top to make a crumble.  

Day 3 - Peach 


Peach yoghurt is one of the most classic flavours out there in my opinion. This stood up to the best of the peach flavoured yoghurt's I've had over the years, perfect sweetness mixed with the thick yoghurt. Not much else to say. 

Day 4 - Blueberry


Another one of my favourite flavours. I'm always pleased to find a blueberry yoghurt, not many of them around! This one was delicious, not allowing the tartness of the blueberries to come through, just the sweetness which works so well when mixed through the strained yoghurt. Again, this could go well with some granola sprinkled on the top as a super quick pudding, or special breakfast. 

Day 5 - Blood Orange


I don't think I have ever seen a Blood orange flavoured yoghurt anywhere before, so this was a first for me. I have eaten blood oranges before, but not for around 20 years much to my shame. This meant I had absolutely no idea what to expect when trying this, which probably made me a perfect candidate for trying it, as I had no prior opinions. I was pleasantly surprised at the flavour, it was a bit tangy, a bit sharp but just the right sweetness to balance it all. I will definitely buy this one!

Day 6 - Black Cherry


I have only tried one other yoghurt product with black cherry and I do really like that one so this had high standards to live up to in my mind. Although I enjoyed this one, it didn't make it into my favourites, I think I'd have liked a bit more of the Cherry flavour to come through. 

Day 7 - Strawberry


Another one of the classic yoghurt flavours, and one that I have tried in many forms over the years. This one matched all of the others, but didn't blow them away I'm afraid. What helps this one over the others though is that it's fat free and the fact that it's strained, so thick and creamy. If I were buying a strawberry yoghurt and saw this on the shelves I'd go for it for those facts alone.

I will be using the plain fat free Chobani in quite a few different recipes over the coming weeks, months and posting on here about them. So check back often to keep up to date. 

Pictures taken from the Chobani website to depict the actual yoghurt's that I tried.






No comments:

Post a Comment