Monday 17 June 2013

Strawberry dream cupcakes

Strawberries are bang in season right now, and I have a meeting at work to make cakes for this week. Cue me making 24 strawberry and cream cupcakes!
I had a tub of Flora buttery in the picnic hamper sent to me by Unilever for my Picnic Challenge which I decided to try instead of I salted butter, and I have to say I was really impressed with the resulting cupcakes.

I knocked these up in just under two hours, they're simple but delicious.  

Ingredients:

200g caster sugar
200g unsalted butter
200g self raising flour (sifted twice)
4 eggs
1/2 jar strawberry jam
12 strawberries

For the 'Chantilly' cream:
250ml double cream
1/2 tsp chocolate essence
1 tbsp icing sugar

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 180c
Cream the caster sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. This could take 5 minutes or so and is best done with an electric whisk. I used my Russell Hobbs kitchen aid which allowed me to get on with lining the muffin tray with the cake cases and sipping my coffee whilst it did the hard work for me.

When the sugar and butter are creamed together, add the eggs one at a time until all are incorporated. If it looks like the mix is beginning to curdle add some of the flour a tbsp at a time. 

Fold in the remaining flour with a metal spoon until the flour is folded in. Being careful not to over mix and knock all of the air out.

Fill the cupcake cases 3/4 way up and bake for 15-18 minutes until the cake is springy when touched gently or a skewer inserted comes out clean. 

Transfer the cakes to a wire rack to cool.

While the cakes are cooling make up the Chantilly cream by whisking the double cream, icing sugar and chocolate essence until whipped cream consistency is reached. 

When cool use either a small spoon or cupcake corer to make a small hole in the centre of the cake and put the small piece to one side. Put a teaspoon of jam into the hole and replace the small piece of cake. 


Spread the Chantilly cream across the top of the cake in a thin layer.

Finally slice a strawberry in half and slice the half lengthways with cutting all the way to the end enabling you to fan the strawberry half out, place this on top of the cupcake. 

Perfect for enjoying whilst watching Wimbledon with a glass of Pimms! 

No comments:

Post a Comment