Thursday 30 May 2013

Home-made Hobnobs!

I've wanted to make my own digestive biscuits since I watched the contestants on Great British Bake Off making biscuits and crackers in one of their challenges. For some reason it had never occurred to me that it would be entirely possible to make your own at home.
It seems that a GOOD digestive biscuit recipe with a good method is hard to find (I guess the big biscuit manufacturers probably prefer it that way!) Which is silly really, given just how easy to make these little lovelies are.
I'm not entirely convinced I can call them digestives though as the recipe I used did, as they seem more on the Hobnob-ey side. Nether the less, they are delicious and so quick and easy to make that I think they have become a new favourite!


Recipe:

100g Wholemeal flour
100g Oats
100g Salted butter, softened
50g Soft brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1-2 tbsp milk

Method:

Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
Blitz the oats in a food processor until they become powdery, this takes all of about 30 seconds.
Mix the oats, flour, sugar and baking powder together in a bowl until well combined.
Add the softened butter and mix until completely combined (the dough will start coming together but be crumbly). I used the 'rubbing in' method for this but it could be done in the food processor for speed and ease. 
Carefully add some of the milk, a tiny bit at a time until the dough holds together without being sticky and wet. I only used 1/2 a tbsp, though flours can differ and yours may need more. 
Form the dough into a ball and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes. If left in the fridge for longer the dough will need to be left to warm slightly before being rolled as the butter will firm up.
Ready for chilling in the fridge
Roll the dough to a thickness of around 3mm, or the thickness of a hob nob or digestive biscuit.
Roll the dough between cling film to stop  it sticking to the work surface or rolling pin
Cut out in 6cm circles - this is what my recipe said, I used an upside down scone cutter, do what size suits you! 
Place on a sheet of baking paper on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.

Ready for their 15 minutes of flame - sorry!

They are as simple as that! I am considering using this recipe as a base and coming up with some variations such as mixing in a small amount of Parmesan or maybe dessicated coconut (not that I like coconut but then I don't eat all of my creations, I share them). Or just drizzle them with chocolate or sandwich them together with chocolate spread...

The biscuits would be a great home made gift


No comments:

Post a Comment