Saturday 18 May 2013

I'm back!!!!

Hi all! Feels like it's been an eternity since I last posted. So much has been going on, plus I have had the dreaded lurgy that just now seems to be hitting everyone else (you have my sympathy) AND my oven died a death!!!
But none of that matters now, as I'm back and have managed to get a few bakes in to share since I was last here.

First up is my first ever Scan bran cake. For those not in the know, Scan bran is a high fibre bran cracker. It is famous in slimming circles for helping to lose weight through it's very high fibre content, which helps to curb your appetite, keeping you fuller for longer.
Anyway, I have been following my diet for a little over a year now and am working towards my second target. Which is taking longer than it should for me to achieve, so when at group this week I thought I'd buy some Scan bran to see if it could give me a boost to lose the last 2.5lb I need to shift. I tried two crackers softened in hot water and sprinkled with cinnamon and a little drizzle of honey for breakfast - it smelled just like Shredded wheat; it tasted nothing like it!
So, I decided to Google some recipes for Scan bran cakes, there are thousands out there! Who knew?!

This is my take on a Banana Scan bran cake recipe that I found.



Recipe:

For the cake mix

5 Scan Bran crackers
2 Ripe Bananas (mashed)
2 Tbsp sweetner
1 tsp honey
3 eggs
1/2 tsp Chocolate essence
1/2 tsp Vanilla essence

For the cake topping

1 Banana sliced
100g Greek yogurt
Pinch cinnamon/chocolate powder
1 tsp Honey

Method:

Soften the Scan Bran in a bowl with just enough boiling water to cover it.
When the Scan Bran is softened mix in the remaining ingredients for the cake mix.
Give everything a thorough mix and place into a 20cm cake tin.
Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Until the cake is 'set' and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

When the cake has completely cooled, spread the Greek yogurt over the top of the cake. This is where I would use the expensive Greek yogurt and not a shop's own which tend to be quite runny. Use the sliced banana to decorate the cake how you choose and drizzle the remaining honey over the top. If you choose to you can sprinkle the cake with Cinnamon or chocolate powder for a bit of extra decoration and sweetness.

Odd looking mixture - about to go in the oven
 
 
 Fresh from the oven - looking a bit more cakey now
 
 
The finished article. Doesn't look too bad for a 'diet' cake! The smell from the chocolate essence and the banana is delicious.
 
 
It really is that simple to make, perfect for anyone wanting something a bit indulgent but also really not wanting to hurt their weight loss.



About to tuck into a nice big slice! 



Go ahead and try it yourself, let me know what you think of it.

Scan bran can be brought from most Health food stores if you don't belong to a slimming group who sells it.




No comments:

Post a Comment