Monday 21 January 2013

Diet friendly cheese scones (or potato cakes).

OK, before I face a backlash I will come right out and say that these aren't reaaallly scones, not really. BUT! They are so quick and easy and can easily go with most meals that you should give them a try before dismissing them.
I'm not normally a scone person at all, never much seen the point. However as may have now become apparent my major weakness with food is bread (how did you guess?!) and I have been trying to come up with bread alternatives that are diet friendly, so imagine my joy when I found the recipe for these on the Internet.

They are more like potato cakes than scones and have the appearance of English muffins. Whatever they are I'm quite pleased to have discovered them.

I had around 120g of waxy potatoes (such as Charlotte potatoes) cooked, mashed and slightly cooled. I mixed approx 50g of cottage cheese and 60g of extra light soft cheese (I'd run out of cottage cheese and improvised) into the potato. I then mixed in two eggs (use more or less depending on the consistency of the potato mix) until it had all taken on a dough like consistency. For flavour I added a small amount of light extra mature cheddar and some salt and pepper.
 I then rolled the 'dough' to around an inch thickness and cut into rounds using a pastry cutter. Once all of the dough was used up I placed the scones onto a baking stone and topped with finely grated light extra mature cheddar (I used a Parmesan grater).
 

 
Ready for the oven

 
 
They baked in the oven for around 20 mins at 200 degrees C. Until the cheese had gone a nice golden brown.
 

                               
 
 
 
 
They really do smell nice while they're baking and can be served with so many dishes...I'm thinking of trying one with some homemade tomato soup...perfect for this weather!

 
 
 
The obligatory snow shot. Sorry, had to be done!
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment